Home Online Casino Inside online slots – how do they work

Inside online slots – how do they work

Inside online slots – how do they work

On the face of it, online slots seem to be a very simple, straightforward game. You simply place a bet and click on the spin button. When the reel stops spinning, it displays a certain symbol combination. If it is a winning combination, you have won the bet. Quite simple, isn’t it?

However, while the process for the player is quite easy, there is a complete mechanism behind it, which has been formulated through careful deliberation and effort. It is this mechanism that makes the player’s end of the game so easy and simple and makes slots so exciting to play.

This article sheds light on the mechanism of online slots and explains how they work to replicate the function of a real slot machine. In this regard, we need to understand two basic concepts; the RNG and the RTP.

RNG- The Random Number Generator-what is it, and how does it work

As you already know, online slots are regulated remotely, and the outcome is random, and if you are lucky, you may land a win and vice versa. Hence, the process needs to be transparent and fair. Online casinos ensure system transparency through a Random Number Generator (RNG).

The RNG is basically an algorithm that a computer generates, and online casinos use this to ensure that the spin outcome is random. The RNG does this by generating a number sequence, whereby each number corresponds to a reel symbol. Since the number generation is purely random, one cannot predict the outcome, and it all comes down to your luck.

What the RNG means for slots

The reel symbols have specific values assigned to them. The random number generator algorithm generates unique numbers when the reel is spun. The algorithm is so swift that hundreds of numbers are generated in a second. When the reels stop spinning, the set of numbers generated at that time determines which symbols would appear on your screen.

Thus at the backend, the symbols arranged on the reel in your screen correspond to the numbers generated by the RNG. The arrangement thus determines if you have won and, if yes, then how much.

RTP (Return to Player)

As suggested earlier, the other pertinent concept relevant to the working of online boslot is the RTP or return to player. It is usually depicted in the form of a percentage.

The Return to player value depicts how much the player is paid back on his bet over a period of time. Therefore, if a slot has an RTP of 95%, it implies that if you bet $100, you will be paid $95 on it in case of a successful bet. The remaining 5% is the house edge that goes to the casino.

While the concepts of RNG and RTP depict the fairness of the system and the Return you will get on your wagers, it is important to note that slots, like many other gambling games, is based on chance and your chances to win are as much as your chances to lose.